Wednesday, April 22, 2015

For the Love of History

I am driven by my love of history. It partly directs who I am friends with, what I read, and even how I name my dogs. Though I pressed for our brother and sister pups to be named Lancaster and York, the best I could get my husband to agree to was Ragnar and Rollo. I have to admit that I am amused by tiny dogs with Viking names even if it doesn't give tribute to my favorite historical era.

Vicious Viking puppies, Ragnar and Rollo
If you're like me, you cringe every time someone asks if you are talking about the disastrous divorce movie when you refer to the Wars of the Roses or a friend admits that they aren't sure if the Revolutionary War or Civil War came first. (Yes, those comments are both sadly taken from actual conversations that I have participated in.) Why can't everyone share our love of immersing ourselves in history books and documentaries?

My love of history also motivates my writing. I don't look at research as a chore, rather I love taking on the task of bringing a historical character to life in the way that I hope best suits them. I truly believe that an understanding of the past can make us well rounded, more understanding people. Besides, the true stories of the past are almost always more interesting that any fiction that we can come up with.

I admit that I would often rather spend time with a book that takes me back 500 years than participate in current events, sometimes, I suppose, to my detriment. But I just can't help myself.

What do you do for the love of history?

No comments:

Post a Comment